I don’t know about you but I am not big on making New Year’s Resolutions. Honestly, the typical things, exercise more, lose weight, eat healthy, etc. don’t resonate with me for a number of reasons. I simply don’t connect with them on an emotional level. For that reason, in years past – many years ago – when I have made such resolutions, my resolve fails in about a month . . . at the most. Then I spend the rest of the year beating myself up for not keeping the resolutions. So . . . I rarely make resolutions. This year I am trying something different and setting some goals. Yes – to me there is a difference and I may share why in a future blog.
However, there is one thing that has made a huge difference in my life in recent years: community involvement. By nature, I tend to be a bit of an introvert. For years my life was work and family – a small circle. But several years ago I stepped out of my little circle and volunteered for a couple of boards for the City of Glenwood. In the years since I have made some wonderful friends and great connections because of this participation. What an enlightening and rewarding experience this has been!
Whatever time you have, whatever your interests, there are opportunities to be involved, get to know your community and to meet some really great people. What follows is a short list of volunteer opportunities that I would encourage you to consider in 2014. Your assistance will be of great value to the community and what you get in return goes beyond words!
Let me know what your plans are for 2014. What ideas – large or small – do you have to make 2014 Glenwood’s best year ever?
City of Glenwood Springs:
New appointments are made by City Council in February but applications should be submitted by January. Applications for current openings are accepted any time. Application forms may be found on the City web site: http://cogs.us/boards/applications.htm
- Airport Board: 4 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- Building Board of Appeals: 2 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- Financial Advisory Board: 2 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- Historic Preservation Commission: 1 opening now, 4 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- Parks and Recreation Commission: 2 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- Planning and Zoning Commission: 3 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- River Commission: 1 opening now, 2 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- Transportation Commission: 2 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- Tourism Board: 2 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- Victims and Law Enforcement Board: 1 opening now, 3 seats due for appointment in February 2014
- Numerous opportunities. Contact Tom Fleming at 970-319-8964 or email@example.com
Frontier Historical Museum
- 970-945-4448 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 945-2632 x 107
Valley View Hospital
- 970-384-6656 or contact Michele Orton Michele.Orton@vvh.org
Colorado Animal Rescue (CARE)
High Country RSVP
- 888-977-9220 contact Patty Daniells
- 625-4496 email@example.com
Feed My Sheep
- (970) 945-6976
Habitat for Humanity
- Geneva Farr at 970-309-3088